Domestic Violence Statistics
1) 1 out of 4 women will experience abuse within her lifetime.
2) 1 in 3 teens who have been in a relationship experience the most serious forms of dating violence and abuse including sexual abuse, physical abuse, and threats of physical harm.
3) A woman returns, on average, to her abuser up to 7 times before leaving for good.
4) Only 20% of victims reporting an injury from intimate partner violence sought medical treatment following the injury.
5) Intimate partner homicide accounted for 30% of the murders of women and 5% of the murders of men.
6) According to the Fairfax-Falls Church 2009 Point-In-Time Survey, 11% of homeless single individuals were identified as domestic violence victims and 25% percent of homeless individuals within families were identified as domestic violence victims.
7) In 2009, the Fairfax County Police Department responded to 7,937 domestic violence-related calls for service.
8) For 2008, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics estimates that, Intimate Partner Violence constituted 3% of all violence against males and 23% of all violence against females in the United States.