Domestic Violence Statistics
1) 1 out of 4 women will experience abuse within her lifetime.
2) 1 in 3 teens who have been in a relationship experience the most serious forms of dating violence and abuse including sexual abuse, physical abuse, and threats of physical harm.
3) A woman returns, on average, to her abuser up to 7 times before leaving for good.
4) Only 20% of victims reporting an injury from intimate partner violence sought medical treatment following the injury.
5) Intimate partner homicide accounted for 30% of the murders of women and 5% of the murders of men.
6) According to the Fairfax-Falls Church 2014 Point-In-Time Survey, 33% percent of homeless individuals within families were homeless due to domestic violence. Additionally, 42% identified themselves as domestic violence victims or reported a prior history of domestic violence, up from 37% in 2013.
7) In 2013, the Fairfax County Police Department responded to 11,138 domestic violence-related calls for service.
8) For 2011, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics estimates that Intimate Partner Violence constituted 2% of all violence against males and 36% of all violence against females in the United States.